Immerse yourself in the beautiful Guanacaste Province
The Guanacaste Province offers some of Costa Rica’s most awesome, and spectacular coastlines and wildlife preserves both on land and at sea. It is the area encompassing the northwestern part of the country including the Guanacaste Peninsula. You will find intriguing national parks exploding with lush flora and fauna. You are bound to see a wide variety of birds and wildlife.
The Sanctuary Condominiums are just a 90 minute drive from Liberia International Airport (LIR) or 4 hours from San Jose. International Airport (SJO). The tourist area of Tamarindo is 1 hour to the north. The city of Santa Cruz is a 30 min. drive to the north. The small local town of Marbella is 5 minutes to the north. San Juanillo (10 min.), Ostional (15 min.), and Nosara (30 min.) are all a short drive to the south.
Directions to The Sanctuary from Liberia Airport:
Distance: 60 miles/100 kilometers (drive time 90 min.)
- Turn right onto the highway towards Santa Cruz.
- Just prior to entering Santa Cruz & crossing the bridge, turn right towards Playa Junquillal and Playa Tamarindo (paved road). Drive 16 km.
- *At the fork in the road, bear left toward Veintisiete (27) de Abril and Junquillal.
- Go 0.4 km, turn right toward Junquillal and Rio Seco. You will see your first sign for The Sanctuary. There will be others every 6-10 km. Drive 8.2 km.
- Take a left toward Marbella, Ostional, and The Sanctuary Resort. Drive 0.8 km then turn right. Drive 21 km and you are there! (This is a dirt road, however they are continuing to pave many new roads in Costa Rica so this may change.)
- The entrance to the resort is 4 km beyond Marbella.
Directions to The Sanctuary from San Jose Airport:
Distance: 170 miles/280 kilometers (drive time 4-5 hours)
- Take the Pan American Highway toward San Ramon.
- Continue to Limonal. In Limonal, turn left at the Shell gas station, toward the Tempisque bridge.
- Stay on the highway, crossing the bridge toward Nicoya and Santa Cruz. At the end of the road, turn right toward Nicoya and Santa Cruz.
- Continue through the town of Santa Cruz, cross a small bridge, turn left toward Playa Junquillal and Playa Tamarindo. Drive 16 km. Follow directions * above from this point.